If you struggle to manage your household bills on your income, have difficulty setting a realistic budget and understanding how much you have coming in and going out then there are several methods you can try to help you feel more in control of your finances.
Completing a simple budget plan is the best way to do this. The Money Advice Service provides free online budgeting tools you can use.
You may also want to:
- Keep a spending diary. Check if what you actually spend matches what you think you spend
- Use a calendar or diary to note down when payments are due as it may be possible to change payment dates so that they are in line with when you receive your money
- Shop around for cheaper electricity and gas tariffs.
- Contact your water supplier to discuss installing a meter if you don't already have one. If you don’t use much water as it means you will only get charged for the water you use.
- Check if you’re entitled to any benefits you're not aware of by using the Turn2Us Benefit calculator.
If you still find that you do not have enough to cover all your outgoings then contact Orbit and one of our expert advisers will be happy to look at your circumstances and try and help you to maximise your income and improve your budgeting.