See how we can help you get online.
Self help guides for online skills
There are a number of online guides available to help you learn more about operating different digital devices.
If you already know the basics of using a web browser, a search on the internet can help you enhance your digital skills.
If you don’t know how to use a web browser, take a look at this handy guide to get started.
There are some simple guides that you can access by clicking the links below, which explain how to use equipment:
- Basic guide to using a personal computer (PC)
- Basic guide to using an Ipad
- Basic guide to using an Android device
The Department for Education has launched The Skills Toolkit, which allows adults to access free, high quality online courses whilst at home. The Skills Toolkit is available to everyone and consists of digital and numeracy courses, ranging from basic to more advanced levels. These are skills that are sought after for many types of jobs, with 82% of job vacancies requiring digital skills.
Need to get online?
Scared of technology? Struggling to get online? Are you getting the most out of the internet?
Orbit customers can apply for FREE digital skills support delivered by our partner 'We Are Digital'. This telephone support service is tailored for Orbit customers who find it difficult to get to local digital courses and training.
Doing more online can be a great way of becoming more independent:
- Keeping in touch with friends and family through Skype and Facebook.
- Ordering groceries online and having them delivered to your door.
- Getting up-to-date information and news on the internet.
We can arrange for an experienced tutor to give you a call. They can help you develop skills such as using email, online shopping, using social media and staying safe online. Please click here to get in touch.
If you are in need of digital equipment or devices to enable you to get online, please click here for information about our Super Surfer grant.
This is the link for staff/partners to apply for At Home Support for customers.
Getting online for less
Here are some offers exclusively for you that will help you become digital at home.
Super surfing can help you with the costs involved with getting online. This could be some money towards a new tablet or laptop. Read more on our Grants page.
Getting online for less
Find low cost computers and tablets. Below is a list of providers that can help you get the best deal:
- Tier 1 Online (Tel: 0161 777 1007) provide a range of refurbished laptops and PCs
- RePC (Tel: 0121 557 6439) provide a wide range of PCs and laptops at various prices and specifications
- The Money Saving Expert website and Tech Advisor offer guides to low cost tablets, starting from less than £50
Phone and Broadband
Make sure that you are getting the cheapest phone and broadband deals by visiting Money Saving Expert.
Staying safe online
In today's digital age most of us have access to the internet whether it’s through our phone, laptop, computer or tablet. Unfortunately, there are things that can sometimes go wrong so it’s really important that we keep ourselves and our loved ones safe online.
Here are five top tips to staying safe online from BBC Webwise:
- It is vital to have good antivirus software, to keep it up-to-date and to run virus scans frequently
- Use a firewall
- Keep your Wi-Fi network secure with strong password protection
- Do not click on questionable links
- Do not download potentially dangerous files or programs
These are trusted websites where you can find out more about internet safety:
- Met Police - Factual information about the internet and the law and some really helpful information aimed at teenagers can be found here.
- Kid Smart - Top tips for helping you keep your children safe online can be found here.
It's important to know how to stay safe when you're using the internet. When you’re online you should never give out any personal information to people you do not know - no matter who you think you're talking to. Click here for some more tips on being savvy online.
Your Orbit account online
- Visit My Account on the Orbit website to find out how to register and log in. Services available via My Account include:
- Repairs appointment booking
- View your account, including statements of charges and payments
- Make a payment
- Update your details
- Order a new swipe card
If you need help using the Orbit website or My Account, you can use the online chat feature which will connect you to one of our advisers.
You can also make payments from your mobile phone using the allpay app, available for iPhone, Android and Windows phones.